Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Kirsten/Barefoot project

Okay, it doesn't have the same ring as Julie/Julia, and I don't really want to cook gross stuff just because it's in a cookbook I happen to like. But, I really did like the movie, because I like to try out new recipes, and I thought since I own all 6 of the Barefoot Contessa Cookbooks, why not cook more out of them. I started with the first one, The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook. So far, it's mostly been a success. Like I said, if it's something I don't like, I won't bother making it, or if the ingredients are just too expensive, then it will have to wait until the economy picks up. What have I done so far? Eggplant spread, cheddar corn chowder, split pea soup, ham, brownies, coconut cupcakes (i've made them before), blueberry muffins (i've made those before too) and spaghetti and meatballs from Barefoot Contessa at home, and fish and chips, though I made hush puppies instead of chips. Other than the split pea soup, I've been happy with everything. That doesn't mean that I haven't made things from other cookbooks though. I made the Ultimate fish tacos last night from Tyler Florence that were so good I wish I had leftovers for lunch, and I made chicken with mushrooms and garlic from The Comfort Table: Everyday occassions. This week I'm trying lemon chicken, indonesian ginger chicken and basil tomato soup.
Does that make me a nerd? The better question is, do I care? It is what I enjoy doing and I'm having a lot of fun, plus my family eats well.

3 comments:

Channa said...

Sounds yummy and ambitious! So glad you're back here in Utah!!!

tamra said...

I will gladly accept an invitation to dinner--or lunch--or breakfast ANYTIME!!
When do you want to do lunch by the way? We don't have to go out if you want to cook... I will come on over! Of course, I will contribute, too. I can bring a fancy beverage or something that doesn't need my lack of skill!
Thanks for making me hungry!

Danielle said...

OH HOW FUN! I love the Barefoot Contessa and her recipes. I can't wait to hear more about your adventure!